Have a question? Call us at (800) 985-7859

Do food trucks require different insurance than food trailers?

Food trucks will require auto insurance by law, where as a food trailer may or may not need a separate auto insurance policy.

When a trailer is being pulled the auto liability (property and injury to others) comes from the auto insurance on the vehicle pulling it.

Depending on your use of the trailer and your personal auto carriers guidelines, you may need to switch to a commercial auto policy.

How much does food truck insurance cost?

Policies start at $450 per year for 1,000,000 liability coverage. Liability insurance is the portion that is required by landlords, commissary kitchens, and city offices.

You will also need auto insurance and property coverage for your truck and your equipment.

We offer a package food truck insurance program that includes general liability, auto liability, property coverage for your truck/equipment, loss of business income, and food spoilage starting at $2,000 per year.

What does general liability insurance cover?

General liability covers bodily injury or property damage to others.

This includes your products (food), your premise (slip and fall), personal injury / advertising injury (libel and slander), and property damage to others. The best part is it also covers the legal fees to defend such claims, even if its found you were not at fault!

An example of each:

Someone with a food allergy gets sick and blames your food truck for not disclosing the ingredients properly. Or the best know example, the coffee is too hot!

You owe an extra duty of care to guest of your food truck to keep them safe. If they trip over an uneven surface, or a chair you provide breaks and causes injury you can be found liable.

Personal Injury:
If you unintentionally infringe on a trade mark of another business, that company may sue you for damages.

Property Damage:
If your food truck causes a fire and the fire was to spread to neighboring property, the policy will cover those damages you are found to be negligent for. It’s important to note general liability does not cover property damages to others while being towed, that coverage comes from the auto policy.

How do I value my truck?

The amount you should insure your food truck for is the actual cash value. In other words at the current value, not the value it would cost to buy a brand new food truck.

This is similar on how personal autos are covered by insurance. In the event of a loss the insurance pays on the current value taking into consideration the condition and age of the property.

For more info check out our blog post: What is the value of your food truck?

What is the difference between food truck property coverage and contents property coverage?

The food truck property value includes the truck and permanently attached equipment. Attached equipment is defined by anything bolted to the truck or attached by plumbing or gas line.

Contents is property that is not attached to the truck.

Example: A fridge can be considered attached if it is bolted to the food truck, or it could be consider not attached (contents) if it is just placed in the truck with no bolting.

Do you charge for additional insured certificates?

No we do not, while others often charge 50-100 to add an additional insured!

Meaning no charge for adding commissary kitchens, landlords, events, etc. Just Email, call, or go here. Fill out our online form and we respond fast.

How long does it take to get coverage started?

We prefer 24 hours, but can accommodate most rush situations.

Are the items not attached to my food truck covered when I move around?

If you purchase property coverage for your truck, you will have coverage for “property in transit” *see policy for coverage limit*.

Unlike standard auto insurance policies, we offer coverage for your equipment not permanently attached to your truck such as generators, kitchen supplies, etc. Your standard commercial auto policy can’t say that!

What is an additional insured?

An additional insured is a person or organization, that you are doing business with that is added to your insurance policy.

By adding an additional insured, you are extending coverage on your policy to protect the person or organization from claims resulting from your negligence.

For example: A suit from a customer eating spoiled food. Since the lawyer would sue you, and most likely the venue, your policy would help protect both of you.

The additional insured will want to be shown proof of being added. This is accomplished on a standard form called an Acord 25. Some agencies will charge extra for this work; we do not.

Why should I buy insurance for my food truck?

You should buy food truck insurance for several reasons.
Most landlords will require it.

  • Opens up vending opportunities as most events require you to have insurance.
  • Protects your valued customers if a mishap occurs.
  • Pays legal expenses to defend claims, even if the claim is frivolous.
  • Protect your investment in your truck
What are common mistakes food truck owners make with other insurance policies?

Food trucks are unique in that they can be mobile and move from event to event. A standard insurance policy is not designed to account for this and can create gaps in coverage. ***top ten mistakes food trucks make***

Can you add my landlord or event to the insurance policy?

Every policy we offer includes blanket additional insureds. This means no additional cost for as many additional insureds as you need, including the owner of your food truck lot, commissary kitchen, or the special event you take part in.

Do you offer monthly payments and what forms of payment do you accept?

We do offer monthly payments on most policies, but some food truck general liability insurance companies only only offer paid in full options.

We accept all major credit cards, debit cards, and check by phone.

Is there a deductible on my policy?

For Liability claims the deductible is 0.

Meaning if a lawsuit occurs it can be turned over to the insurance company, protecting you from paying costly legal fees.

On property coverage the typical deductible is $1,000 per occurrence.

How do I get a certificate for my food truck?

You can call, send the contract for review, email us, or use our ****web form***.

Do we insure other types of vendors?

Yes! We also offer great coverage for the below types of vendors.

  • Food Trailers
  • Concession Trailers
  • Food carts
  • Farmers Markets
  • Personal Chefs
  • Caterers
  • Flea Markets Vendors
  • Food Carts
  • Concession Booths
  • Indoor Vendors
  • Kiosks
  • Newsstands
  • Outdoor Vendors
  • Seasonal lots
  • Tents, Stands, Tables, and Booths!
Who is Insure My Food?

Insure My Food is a niche division of Paprocki Insurance Agency. The niche has grown so large that we insure over 900 food trucks and food trailers!

We are located in Austin, TX and have been in operation since 2004. We are rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau.

What states do you offer insurance coverage in?

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota,Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

Please note that note all our carriers offer coverage in all states, but we have at least one carrier to offer coverage within each state.

What insurance companies do we represent?

We offer several different insurance companies depending on your needs.

Some of the carriers we represent:

  • USLI – Rated A++
  • Progressive Insurance – Rated A+
  • Hanover Insurance – Rated A